Tuesday

laundry room etiquette


i feel like i should just photocopy a bunch of these because i am getting tired of handwriting it.

how long is too long?  how long do you wait for someone to return to empty their machine?  i tried googling laundry room etiquette but that shit gets heavy.  like, thesis style writings on the topic.

break it down for me, ladies.  i need advice on this one.

first point of interest) i am already extremely wary of communal laundry rooms ever since a "gentleman" at my last building dried and folded my laundry for me.  it wasn't until i got upstairs i realized i was missing all my underpants.
second point of interest) please don't recommend i remove the items from the machine.  the last time i did that in this building the man found me, yelled and shook his cane at me.  SHOOK HIS CANE, Y'ALL.  there is no sassing back at that without redonkulous amounts of guilt.

10 comments:

  1. AHHH! There is an underpants thief in your building?! That is gross and so rude! What's a gal supposed to do with no underoos?

    I wish I had an answer for you, but sadly I encounter the same difficulties in my laundry room. There are only like 8 other people in my building so it's probably not as bad, but there are still some people who leave their clothes in the dryer and don't come back for it for hours! I probably would never take their stuff out, because I can just picture them walking in and yelling at me, but I wish they would remember that other people need the machines too. I think a nicely worded note is the best you can do in these situations. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tough loaded question...  and I have been there myself.  How many people use or share the facilities?  In my building there are a few machines, but the one 'allocated' to us is used by ourselves (a family of three with a toddler), the property manager and their wife (who is the landlords niece and the people in the apartment below (that were not supposed to use the machine at all but do) us that are apparently MIT grad students.  So we are lucky that we only have 3 possible apartments to share the machine with so if I have to knock on doors I know where to go... but doesn't help if people are out, or keep weird schedules.  Like when someone puts in their laundry and then goes out for the night or forgets about it... and muggin's here doesn't know what to do, but the only time I can do my washing is in the early morning or after Addie goes to bed.  Now I try and keep my laundry times out of 'peak times' which are Sunday nights for sure... and instead opt for early evenings, like around 5ish during the week (if I am home) or Friday evenings because everyone else has a social life but us!

    I'm not sure what is more annoying for me though... wet laundry left in the machine or dry clean laundry left in the drier.  Sometimes if it is a few bits in the drier, like some shirts, I take them out and lay them over the top, because they'll crease and I usually know whose they are (the property manager and his wife are nice and they know I mean well) but I don't ever touch their wet stuff.  I'd have a heart attack if someone touched my laundry though... I hate leaving it anywhere and am super paranoid about that kinda thing.  Well more so OCD rather than paranoid.  I am not much help really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sécia8/09/2011

    There is no proper etiquette. I think the note is about as polite you can be without disturbing one's personal universe. If someone were to dry my laundry for me I'd probably find them and ask them if they'd like to pay to replace all of my delicates that they've just shrunk. One of the best things when I moved into a house was having my own washer and dryer. I feel for ya, sista.

    ♥ séciawww.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika Lee Sears8/09/2011

    when i lived in apartments- if it was there for a long time- they would dump it in the basket because they usually put the basket on top of their load. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: Erika's comment... my sister in law, when I lived with my inlaws, would do that.  leave her washing in the machine, and then told us if we needed the machine to put it back in her basket (how gracious of her to instruct us so!) but then would continue to forget about. and then it would start to dry out and stink, so she would wash it again.  totally failing at life, even on the basic important things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's just something i will have to accept until i get my own laundry facilities. it's a shame that it only takes one bad apple, ya know? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this building has aproximately sixty units so we have to assume that at least one resident is living there. so, *minimun* sixty people sharing three washers and three dryers can make for a pretty sucky situation! generally i enjoy living in the building but when it comes time for laundry.... not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. one day i will not have to share, one day i will not have to share... maybe if i keep repeating it it will come true? ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. in other buildings i have lived in most people would follow that protocol and leave their baskets. this building doesn't seem to do that, though. weird! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a huge waste of money to me! =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.